The History of Jubilee Cottage
This Victorian home was built in 1912 by Wallace businessman, Robert Nelson. Mr. Nelson built and operated a general store in Wallace, across from the present Presbyterian Church in 1890.
The house was very big and elaborate for its time. Mr. Nelson built it as a wedding house for a girl he had met in P.E.I. He used only the best materials. It had six large windows unlike any other house in the village. These windows were brought in by train to Wallace Station and then they were hauled by horse and wagon to Wallace.
Unfortunately for Mr. Nelson, when he asked this lady to marry him, she said "No" and turned him down. Mr. Nelson lived alone in the house and never got married. He died in 1928.
Roy and Roberta Charman moved into this house in 1929. They lived here with their three daughters, Elizabeth, Barbara and Ruth. Mr. Charman died in 1964. After Mr. Charmans death, Roberta ("Bert") opened up the home as a guest house. Bert spent many hours sitting in front of the big window knitting. Everyone who visited the house loved Bert Charman. The house was vacant for over 3 years after Mrs. Charman died in 1987.
Leslie and Daphne Dominy bought the house in 1991. They were originally from Newfoundland. They bought this house, renovated it and opened the Jubilee Cottage Country Inn in 1995. The renovating was a big job, mainly due to the house having gone into disrepair after having been empty for so long. They tried to keep as much of the old house as they could. They had to remove five layers of wallpaper in some rooms and replace some of the windows in order to make it easier to heat. The six largest windows were left untouched. All three levels of the house have the original hardwood floors. There are two fireplaces, several steep stairways, including one to the attic and old quarry stone steps to the basement. Many of the doors still lock with skeleton keys.
The Dominys ran Jubilee Cottage as an inn for six months of the year, with three guest rooms. They also offered fine dining to the public until 2003. Jubilee Cottage Country Inn was then renamed to Jubilee Cottage Bed and Breakfast.
Wallace "by the sea", indeed "a beautiful place" found us and we moved into Jubilee Cottage in October 2004 after spending 26 years in Australia. We continue to run Jubilee Cottage as a bed and breakfast and we have re-opened the dining room, offering public dining once again. Our aim is to reflect our international backgrounds and lifestyles in the stream of health and wellness in our foods. We believe that "Eating for health need not compromise eating for pleasure".
Mrs. Bert Charmans photograph still hangs at the entrance of Jubilee Cottage and her friendly spirit continues to welcome all visitors.